You can’t think of your car’s audio system as a great one unless you have a great head unit. Without it, your speakers won’t be able to produce the kind of sound quality you expect them to, not to mention that you’re gonna have problems adjusting the settings, changing tracks, controlling the radio, and so on. All of this shows the importance of getting the best double DIN head unit!
If you need more information, feel free to continue reading!
- WHAT DOES DIN MEAN IN THE FIRST PLACE?
- TOP 5 BEST DOUBLE DIN HEAD UNIT YOU CAN BUY TODAY
- Alpine ILX-107 – High-End Double DIN Head Unit Ideal for Apple Users
- JVC KW-V830BT – Probably the Best Double DIN Head Unit for Android
- Sony XAV-AX100 – One of Best Double DIN Head Units Android & iPhone Compatible
- Kenwood DDX773BH – Reliable Head Unit with a Really Awesome Display
- BOSS Audio BV9362BI – Probably the Best Double Din Head Unit for the Money
- Frequently Asked Questions ABOUT DOUBLE DIN HEAD UNITS
- Final Piece of Advice
And if you’re shopping for one, you’ll be glad to hear that the market is full of amazing devices. There are literally hundreds of different models to choose from, which is definitely a good thing. The problem is that picking out the very best double DIN head unit from such a vast offer is not going to be an easy task.
In order not to make a mistake and end up with a poor-quality double DIN head unit, you need to invest some time in doing a research. The more info you gather, the better your chances are of choosing the best product. The good news is that you have us to help you with this. We’re now going to tell you all you need to know about double DIN head units, as well as help you with finding the best one.
So, let’s start the quest for the best double DIN head unit by explaining what these devices actually are!
WHAT DOES DIN MEAN IN THE FIRST PLACE?
The word DIN stands for “Deutsches Institut für Normung”, which is a German term refereeing to size standards. DIN is basically what ANSI is in the United States. So, how does this relate to head units?
Well, DIN is basically the standard size of the head unit in each car. There are, of course, head units that are smaller, as well as those that are bigger. Double DIN, obviously, refers to a head unit that’s twice the size of a regular head unit. Actually, its height is two times bigger, while the width and depth are practically the same as in the case of regular DIN units.
At this point, you’re probably wondering does the size actually matter when it comes to head units. We can tell you that it does. Larger units have more space to pack more features, which in turn, is guaranteed to have an impact on audio performances of your car sound system.
Another reason is that larger head units are usually easier to control as they have larger displays. Surely, this differs from model to model, which is why it’s important to pick a good one. Otherwise, there’s not much advantage to choosing a bigger version.
That said, picking the best DIN head unit is of utmost importance. This is a serious matter, which is why we’ve decided to put ourselves at your disposal and do our best to help you find your perfect head unit.
In a hurry? Here is our Top 5 Carefully researched Best Double Din Head Units
TOP 5 BEST DOUBLE DIN HEAD UNIT YOU CAN BUY TODAY
Head unit is arguably the most important part of your car’s audio system. This is why you need to get the best one you can. We’re now going to help you make the right choice by presenting you our top 5 picks for the best double DIN head.
Each of these five devices deserves your attention and even if you randomly decide to buy one of these, you won’t make a bad decision. Still, we do advise you to read our double DIN head unit reviews and use your own judgment in picking the best one.
Alpine ILX-107 – High-End Double DIN Head Unit Ideal for Apple Users
First of all, let’s be clear – this double DIN head unit is not cheap. But, we believe it’s worth every cent. The reasons for that are numerous, starting from the fact is that it’s made by a reputable manufacturer, famous for the longevity of its products.
The most important thing about this product is that it’s probably the best double DIN head unit for sound quality. Alpine ILX-107 is also very easy to use and comes with plenty of super-useful features. Finally, this double DIN head unit also looks lovely. You’re going to be very proud of having it in your car.
- 7-inch touch screen – This head unit has a large VGA display with touch screen, something that adds to the convenience of the user.
- Wireless – You can control this head unit by using the touch screen or you can connect it to your smartphone via its wireless adapter.
- Apple Maps, TuneIt App, Apple CarPlay – This double DIN head unit is designed for Apple users, meaning that you can easily connect it to your iPhone. But, not only that, Alpine ILX-107 comes with some pre-installed Apple apps such as Apple CarPlay and Apple Maps, which you can use for satellite navigation. Actually, this makes it probably the best double DIN head unit with navigation you can find.
- Voice control – Not only can you control this head unit by using its touchscreen or through your smartphone, but it also has voice control. This is thanks to the fact that Apple CarPlay comes installed, an app that features Siri voice control.
- Reverse cam ready – If your car has a reverse camera (or in fact any other camera), you will be able to connect it to this head unit.
- Superb performances
- Easy to use
- Perfect for Apple users
- Comes with satellite navigation feature
- Voice control
- Quality-built by a renowned manufacturer
- Not cheap
JVC KW-V830BT – Probably the Best Double DIN Head Unit for Android
If Alpine ILX-107 is perfect for Apple users, JVC KW-V830BT is ideal for those using Android devices. Of course, this doesn’t mean you won’t be able to use it if you own an iPhone. On the contrary, this head unit comes with some pre-installed Apple apps, such as Apple CarPlay, for example.
This makes it very easy to control. Speaking of which, it also comes with a remote control and there’s even a voice control feature. Apart from being convenient to use, this head unit is also great in terms of build-quality and durability. It also looks very nice and its price is not that high.
Still not convinced that JVC KW-V830BT is the right double Din head unit for your car? In that case, you need to take a look at its most important features!
- 6.8-inch display – This unit has a large touch screen, which makes controlling it and adjusting its settings a child’s play.
- Bluetooth – The fact that this head unit has a Bluetooth adapter means that you can connect it to your smartphone, tablet, or even a laptop. It doesn’t matter if you’re using iPhone or Android device, this head unit is compatible with it.
- Remote control – You don’t have to connect JVC KW-V830BT to a mobile device in order to be able to use it remotely. This head unit comes with its own remote control!
- Siri voice control – If you’re an Apple user, you will be able to use the app called CarPlay, which has Siri as an integral part. What this means is that the voice control will make it even more convenient to control this unit.
- Affordable price
- Doesn’t break often
- 2-year warranty given by the manufacturer
- Compatible with all kinds of devices
- Not as great as Alpine ILX-107 in terms of audio reproduction
Sony XAV-AX100 – One of Best Double DIN Head Units Android & iPhone Compatible
Even though its display isn’t as large as with the two previously-discussed head units, Sony XAV-AX100 can definitely be called the best double din touchscreen head unit. The reason is that its 6.4-inch touch screen is super-responsive, thus making the whole device very easy to use.
Apart from having a touch screen, it also has a rotary dial, which is another feature that adds to the user convenience. Speaking of how easy it is to use, we need to mention that you can connect it to a smartphone (both iPhones and Androids) and control it remotely.
- 6.4-inch touch screen – This touch screen is very responsive, so you can be sure there won’t be any misinterpreted commands.
- Rotary dial – This feature makes controlling this head unit even easier.
- Dynamic reality amplifier – Thanks to this feature, the audio reproduced by Sony XAV-AX100 is seriously good.
- Reverse camera ready – If you have a reverse camera installed in your car, you will be able to see what’s going on behind you by using this head unit.
- 1-year warranty – The fact that this head unit is made by Sony means that you have nothing to worry about its durability. And if you still have concerns, we’re glad to tell you that the manufacturer is giving a 12-month warranty on this product.
- Impressive sound quality
- Easy to use
- Compatible both with Apple and Android devices
- Quality-built and expected to work fine for a long time
- Display isn’t too big
Kenwood DDX773BH – Reliable Head Unit with a Really Awesome Display
Kenwood is a famous manufacturer of car audio equipment, with a long tradition and a reputation for making only top-quality products. Speaking of quality, you can be sure that this double DIN head unit is not going to cause you any problems for many, many years.
Apart from being durable, Kenwood DDX773BH also looks nice and has a very sharp display. It’s also very easy to control. You can also connect it to your smartphone, although not wirelessly but via a USB cable.
- USB & DVD/CD Receiver – You can use this head unit to play audio/video from your smartphone, tablet, or laptop using the USB connection, but you can also insert a DVD or CD into its receiver.
- Large 6.95-inch display – Not only is it large, but the touch screen of Kenwood DDX773BH is also very sharp, so even watching movies on this head unit is a real pleasure.
- 6 channel outputs – You can connect all kinds of speakers to this head unit, thus really boosting your car’s audio system.
- Integrated equalizer – Its built-in equalizer has 13 different bands, which is just one of many super-useful features.
- Impressive sound quality
- Amazing display
- DVD/CD receiver
- USB port
- No Wi-Fi feature
- No GPS Sat Nav
- It’s price could have been a bit lower
BOSS Audio BV9362BI – Probably the Best Double Din Head Unit for the Money
The main reason why we put BOSS Audio BV9362BI on our list is that we think it’s the best double din head unit under 200 dollars. Of course, it’s rather affordable price is just one of many reasons why BOSS Audio BV9362BI deserves a closer look.
When it comes to audio performances of BOSS Audio BV9362BI, we’re not going to lie to you – they’re not as great as those of the previous four head units on our list. Still, you can’t expect wonders from a head unit that’s so affordable.
- 4 channels – There are four audio channels, meaning that your car audio system is not going to be top class. That said, the peak power is 80 watts, which also isn’t too impressive. On the bright side, this head unit comes with an integrated equalizer, which is definitely a big plus.
- DVD/CD receiver – You can listen to your favorite music by inserting a DVD or a CD into its receiver. And thanks to the fact that this head unit has a pretty sharp display, you can even watch movies and clips on it.
- USB port – You can use the USB port to connect this device to a smartphone, tablet, or laptop.
- Bluetooth – Connecting your mobile device to this double DIN head unit can be done via USB cable, but that might not be too convenient. That’s why you can always establish a connection between the two using Bluetooth.
- 3-year warranty – Not only is this head unit made by a reputable brand, it also comes with a worry-free warranty. The length of the warranty period is three years.
- Very cheap
- Decent-quality screen
- Compatible with all kinds of devices
- Long warranty
- Not great in terms of audio performances
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions regarding double DIN head units.
Frequently Asked Questions ABOUT DOUBLE DIN HEAD UNITS
How to know if a head unit is compatible with your car’s existing audio system?
If you already have a set of speakers in your car, you want head unit to have enough channels so that you could connect all the speakers. That said, even if the pin head unit doesn’t have too many channels, modifying it isn’t too difficult.
Which operating system head units use?
Most double DIN head units run on Android, but this actually doesn’t matter much as you should have no problems connecting it with Apple devices and vice versa.
How hard is it to install a double DIN head unit?
Most of the products mentioned in our reviews come with all the necessary mouthing gear, so installing them should not be a big problem. Of course, this is only true if there’s enough space in your car for a head unit of double DIN size. If not, you will have to hire professionals to make necessary adjustments.
How much money is too much to give for a double DIN head unit?
Well, it all depends on your budget, but, mind you, this is a kind of device you don’t have to buy too often. In fact, one good double DIN head unit should serve you well for at least couple of years. So, even if you spend a couple hundred dollars on it, it’s a good investment.
Final Piece of Advice
Head unit is the center of your car audio system, so even if you have amazing woofers at the back, they’re not going to sound nice unless you have a good head unit up front. But, these devices are much more than just a thing that controls the audio system. These days, they’re used for navigation, rear-view camera, phone calls, and whatnot.
And if you get a head unit with a large display, you will even be able to use it to watch movies. Because of all this, buying a quality double DIN head unit is a must. If you’re having problems finding one on your own, the thing you need to do is go through our reviews and pick one that suits your needs the most.
But, don’t worry – you won’t make a bad choice. Whichever best double DIN head unit you choose from our list, it’s going to serve you very well for many, many years!